Thursday, March 4, 2010 at 12:13PM
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 5 large white onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (14-16 ounce) cans sauerkraut
- 2 (6-8 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms
- 5 whole sweet gherkins, chopped rough
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Heinz Chili Sauce (or regular ketchup)
- 2 quarts vegetable broth, made from 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- heavy cream
1Sauté ground beef and pork and onions with olive oil in a soup pot until brown.
2Add sauerkraut and mushrooms (with their liquids) and pickles; stir together with the meat.
3Add entire bottle of sauce or ketchup and the vegetable broth.
4Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5Add salt and pepper to taste.
6Add heavy cream and cook for 1 more minute, then serve.